Friday, September 30, 2005

Setting the Records Straight

I recently received contact regarding Judith Miller, recently released political reporter for the New York Times. According to CNN, Judith was able to disclose her confidential source after receiving a voice confirmation from the source himself, Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, Lewis "Scooter" Libby. Let me be perfectly clear on this point, Lewis "Scooter" Libby stole my Washington D.C. nickname.

I have a standing policy to never make press comments off the record, so this Scooter impostor is clearly not me, nor do I endorse his actions of holding reporters to outrageous confidentiality demands. While I believe strongly in the rights of people lower down the food chain to speak in confidence to reporters, I do not believe senior staff and elected officials should have such privileges. You got something to say that the public should know about, and credibility to say it, then get out there and tell people.

If Mr. Libby is reading, please make it clear in the future that your nickname refers to you and not me whenever dealing with the press. Thanks.

No comments: