Monday, September 12, 2005

Absolute Madness

Today I had a phenomenally bad work day... at both work places. In the GPSS Office, we just received a ton of new computers. I now have to begin the arduous process of getting each one setup, secured, and in the hands of their users. And on top of that, I'm trying to train people how to use software that I don't even know how to use. Last time I seriously used Windows was Sophomore year in 2000. This whole experience has really showed me how much better Linux is. People who say that Linux isn't ready for the desktop might say the samething about Windows if marketshares were in reverse.

But that wasn't the icing on the cake--oh no. On Friday I sent an email to LegSim's offsite payment service. Nice guys who have been super helpful, even though there were lots of obstacles and surprises when trying to fit LegSim into their system. The email asked about the feesability of implementing a new feature to help reduce user error. The feature required us to both do something at the same time, otherwise the remedy would be far worse than the sickness. And what did they do with the email on Friday? They implemented the new feature... and when did they tell me? Today! So for more than 72 hours students registering with LegSim were getting bogus registration links. This whole weekend I've been dealing with complaints, wondering why the amount had increased so radically... and, well... now I know.

So, all in all, not a great day for employment. Tomorrow I have a fancy meeting with the Katrina Students Committee, so maybe I'll get some uplifting news while showing off my own managerial skills. More on that as things get solidified.

No comments: