Tuesday, September 12, 2006

New Adventures in Sun Burns

I'm back! Or, perhaps more accurately, I'm here!

Where? Santa Cruz, California. Just today the Comcast service man came, declared my perfectly fine cable modem to be "broken," and gave me a new one. Oh, and he connected my home to the only utility more important than water.

Now that my apartment is online, most of the boxes are unpacked, and Sarah and I are getting settled down, it's time to start blogging again. I promise a few photos of the apartment later for those who are interested in seeing how my stuff jives with Sarah's stuff.

In other news, I went camping with a good friend from my undergraduate years and several of his work colleagues (Googlers, apparently, is the term). There was a nice lady there who graduated from UW Law a few years back and now works as in-house counsel at some big internet advertisement company. We got into something of a legal argument over whether the behavior described in this Seattle Times article is legal or not.

She thought the dude was okay... whereas my recent bar training says this guy violated the tort of public disclosure of private facts. See, if I convey private facts to you that a reasonable person would not want to be made public, and you go ahead and do so anyway, that's a tort regardless of the truth of those facts (where as truth would be a defense in a defamation suit). No criminal liability, but if I can prove damages then you're going to pay. This guy from Craig's List collected private information about people's embarrassing sexual preferences and then published those facts online. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Oh, and about the post title... I managed to sunburn just my knees the other. Seriously.

No comments: